It’s great to see South Africans finally picking up on what the Italians have known for centuries, that this is the way life is meant to be lived – slowly and simply, with good food and wine and good company, in a natural, outdoor setting. This 2.5 day, 20 km hiking cultural experience is for those who know how to experience the good things in life.
Over the course of the 2.5 days we follow a route once walked by short-necked giraffe, our common ancestor and the San, then came the early settlers and farmers we know today. We explore some of this history along the way but also enjoy a taste of contemporary culture, olive and wine tasting.
The first leg on Day 1, guests are transferred from their guestshouse to !Khwa ttu for a short guided tour by a San guide. Afterwards, the hike continues towards Yzerfontein on the coast for about 10km of hiking experience. The second leg on Day 2 the guests are transferred from their guesthouse to Grootepost area for a gentle 7km walk.
The map provides an overview of the trail but is not 100% accurate. Trails are led by one or more guides who know the route and safeguard guests and natural and cultural heritage embedded in the landscape.
The Trail will be led by one or more qualified guides, supported by various caterers, drivers and other service providers.
View Darling Stagger in a larger map
The following itinerary may change to suit customized requests,
seasonally or due to circumstances beyond our control.
• 14h00 – Guide meets clients at guesthouse.
• Guide takes clients to visit Darling Museum / olive tasting at Alexanderfontein.
• Followed by a relaxing afternoon.
• 19h00 – Guide takes clients to local Restaurant for dinner.
• Guide meets clients at their guesthouse after breakfast.
• Transfer to !Khwa ttu for a short San guided tour through meditation garden.
• Short transfer to Tygerfontein across R27, where you will commence your walk (10km).
• After your walk you get transferred to Alexanderfontein for an enchanting olive tasting.
• Your next stop will be Ormonde wine estate for a marvellous wine tasting and light lunch.
• Transfer to your guesthouse to for a comfortable stay in the heart of Darling, to spend a lovely evening
.• 19h00 – Stroll down to Aunty Ivy or one of the local restaurants for some delicious food
• 08h00- Enjoy a delicious breakfast served at the guesthouse
• Transfer to Grootepost Area.
• Followed by a hike in the area of Grootepost.
• Followed by an optional wine tasting at Grootepost Cellars
• Continue by heading back to Darling area to visit Evita’s Perron for lunch.
• After lunch, Guide takes clients back to their guesthouse to end the trail.
Customized trails: On request
Set Date Trails: The set date trail itinerary and price may be subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control. Terms and conditions apply.
The price includes a CWCBR guide/host, shared accommodation in 3-4 star guesthouses, meals (1 dinners, 1 breakfasts, 2 lunches), and all transfers mentioned in the itinerary. The price excludes the travel from your home to Darling and back, drinks, local product purchases, telecommunications, laundry and any other activities not referred to in the itinerary. Please bring your own drinks and snacks – restaurants will charge corkage.